Thursday 9 October 2014

New Baby Must-Haves (Age 0-6 Months) for Clean-Up Time (Bath/ Change of diapers)

This section provides more details on the items for the New Baby Must-Haves (Age 0-6 Months), Clean-Up Time (Bath/ Change of diapers e.g. after Pooping) Category.

To go back the main article "New Baby Must-Haves (Age 0 - 6 Months)", click here.

Clean-Up Time (Bath/ Change of diapers e.g. after Pooping)

1) Changing Mat
 
Changing Mat

I have been using this changing mat for over a year now as I find it easy to maintain and versatile. It is thick, cushy, and water-proof, can be placed on any surface and has slightly raised side frames at three of its sides to prevent a small baby from rolling over. Being water-proof, I can easily wash it with water and soap whenever it gets dirtied.

2) Diaper Wipes
I have tried a number of brands on my baby's sensitive butt but at last chose to stick with pampers sensitive wipes. It is thick, alcohol and perfume free. I use it for cleaning my baby's butt after he has pooped.

3) No-Rinse Cleansing Fluid
This is useful when baby is out and for travelling especially when water might not be so easily accessible. It helps to thoroughly clean off stubborn poo stains and removes the bad odour of poo leaving behind a pleasant smell. I have tried both "California Baby Calming Diaper Area Wash" and "Mustela PhysiObébé". Both work well. But I prefer Mustela's bottle which is easy to pump using just one hand while I can have the other free hand to hold my baby down especially when he has learnt and started flipping. The other reasons why I prefer Mustela is it can be used on both face and diaper area.

4) Cotton Wool
During a change of diapers (when diaper is full of urine), I will dip the cotton wool into water to clean my baby's butt.

5) Diaper Rash Cream
To prevent my baby from getting diaper rash, I always apply a thin layer of diaper rash cream or moisturiser onto my baby's butt. I have tried many different brands on my baby but the ones I like best are California Baby, Bepanthen, GAIA, Skincando Combat Ready Cream and Desitin. For bad diaper rash, Desitin Rapid Relief Cream and Skincando Combat Ready Cream work best for Larry.

6) Diapers
I have tried many different brands of diapers. Due to Larry's sensitive skin, he uses Pampers tape diapers during the day and MamyPoko tape diapers at night. MamyPoko has a good absorbency feature and is able to keep baby's butt dry throughout the night. Thanks to MamyPoko, Larry was able to sleep through the night as he gets older.

7) Bathtub and Non-Slip Mat
I chose a medium size bathtub for Larry and he has been using it since birth till now (he is currently 14 months old). There is still some leg room for him but I intend not to use the bathtub and to bath him in a standing position instead once he gets more stable in standing and walking. The non-slip mat is placed in the bathtub to prevent him from slipping easily into the bathtub.

8) Bath Cloth
This is used for cleaning the baby's face, hair and body during bathing.

9) Shampoo and Body Wash
I prefer those 2 in 1 Shampoo and Body Wash as it can be used for both body and hair thus omitting the need to buy and keep two separate bottles. It is easier and space saving to bring on travels too. I will choose those that are mild and tear-free. Some brands that I have tried on Larry and liked includes "California Baby Shampoo & Body Wash", "Mustela 2 in 1 Hair and Body Wash" and "Kodomo Hair & Body Wash".

10) Bath Towel
For drying baby after the bath, I use bath towels that are 100% cotton, highly absorbent and hooded. I prefer white colour bath towels as any dirt can be easily identified. The hood on the towel helps to protect, cover and absorb the water from the baby's hair.


Hooded Bath Towel and Waterproof Mat

11) Moisturisers
The new-born baby's skin is extremely delicate. Thus, moisturisers are important to provide a protective barrier for keeping baby's skin soft, smooth and free from rash. I prefer using those all-in-1 moisturisers which can be used from head to toe. Not only are they more convenient to bring along when going out with baby, they are also a better option for active babies who might touch themselves all over causing the body moisturiser to get onto their face etc. "Avent Soothing Magic Cream" by far is my favourite baby moisturiser. Not only is it an all-in-1 moisturiser, it helps to heal rashes and keeps rashes at bay. It has a very nice fragrance, is easily absorbed, skin feels smooth and does not leave a sticky feeling behind. It can also be used on the butt to prevent diaper rash. Other all-in-1 moisturisers that work well on Larry are "California Baby Calendula Cream" and "Skincando Combat-Ready Balm" but "Avent Soothing Magic Cream" is the least pricy among them.

Whenever Larry develops rashes on any part of himself, I will apply more of the "Avent Soothing Magic Cream". But if it does not get any better or gets worse, I will apply "Skincando Combat-Ready Balm" as the last resort. To me, the "Skincando Combat-Ready Balm" is a must-have magic potion that has helped treat Larry's rashes and insect bites.

12) Cloths
Due to the hot climate in Singapore, during the day, I will usually put Larry in short-sleeve rompers, mittens and socks. In the evenings, I will change him into long pants. I always choose cloths that are made of 100% cotton as they are soft and cool to baby's delicate skin.
 
13) Waterproof Mat
I change my baby on bed after bathing. The waterproof mat helps to prevent the bed from getting wet. I place it on bed before putting baby with bath towel on it. For a visual view of how it looks like, refer to the picture mentioned in point 10 above. Alternatively, the changing mat can be used as well. But I prefer to keep them separate such that the changing mat is strictly used for diapering baby when he poops or diapers gets too full for hygiene reasons.

To go back the main article "New Baby Must-Haves (Age 0 - 6 Months)", click here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and sharing your comments !